Thursday, December 23, 2010

Life Drawing has greatly helped my other areas of study

I've mentioned more than once that I took Life Drawing I and II mostly to benefit and supplement my learning in my 3D design work. When building a 3D model of a human character, it's vital to have a solid understanding of the human form, as well as the skeletal and muscular systems. In an earlier post, I described how working with the skull helped me while modeling a human head. When I finished the head, I moved on to creating the body. My knowledge of anatomical anatomy again helped me during this endeavor. While creating the basic shape of the body, I was continually thinking about proportions, attachment points, and other things I learned during Life Drawing I and II. After I finished building the base body, I had to go in and add a bit of muscle detail. The things I learned from the Manikin activity in Life Drawing I aided me the most here. Numerous times, I pulled up the pictures of my Manikin and referenced the muscles on them (I have yet to go in and add finer detail to the muscles, but when I do, I will again have my Manikin photos guiding me). When enrolling for Life Drawing I (and especially Life Drawing II), I really hoped that the classes would help me in my other work. At the end of LD2, I can undoubtedly say that they really have. My skills across numerous areas of my field of study have greatly been improved because of both Life Drawing I and II.


Here are a few images of the gladiator that I have been modeling in 3D. I've reposted the head image for reference, and the image on the bottom is the most (but not entirely) completed version that I have to date.





No comments:

Post a Comment