Monday, December 6, 2010

LD2 - Week of November 29th

This week, we began working on our final skeleton drawings. We have a total of 6 classes plus an equal amount of work outside of class to get them done. Unfortunately, I missed Wednesday's class, so I have a bit of making up to do.

Anyway, I've posted below a picture of my progress from the first day of drawing the skeleton. I'm pretty pleased with how it's turning out so far. I'm getting better at sizing up proportion (although I used a ruler when making measurements for the skeleton), and was able to get that done without too much trouble. I think the proportions have turned out well, and I shouldn't have to adjust them much throughout the rest of the process. The biggest issue present in my drawing so far is the placement of some of the bones. I have a continuing problem of drawing lines and forms too vertically, so I have to work on that (you can see that I am in the middle of angling the leg in on my drawing). Also, the arms are too close to the body, so my next step will be to move those out a bit. Other than that, I have no complaints as of now. I'm eager to see how it turns out and to see how much I've been able to absorb throughout my two semesters of Life Drawing!



On a side note, one thing I noticed when measuring out the skeleton was how small the skeleton drawing is turning out to be. With a paper length of almost 5 feet, I imagined the drawing being much larger (almost to scale), but when I went to make the measurements, everything seemed tiny. For example, the skull is less than six inches tall, and that didn't look right at first (I started by sketching in the skull, and after I did, there appeared to be way too much blank paper left below it). I figured that I would just keep sketching out the rest of the skeleton and see what happens. Lo and behold, everything fell into place just fine. Once again, my eyes and brain lied to me about what I think I see!

And yes, my skeleton has a mustache. Why? ...Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment