Monday, October 25, 2010

LD2 Week 5 - Skulls from memory

10/11/10 and 10/13/10

We began this week by drawing skulls from memory. This was my first time drawing without a reference, and I was eager (as well as a bit anxious) to start. After we completed our memory drawings, we looked at a skull and made corrections to our memory drawings. My memory drawing was done in charcoal, and I made corrections using a conte pencil, which are the dark orange marks on the drawing. I am pleased with how it turned out. I was able to remember the basic shapes and planes of the skull, although some of the finer details slipped my mind. A few proportions and angles were a bit off, but not too bad. Overall, I think I have a decent grasp on the skull and pulled off the memory drawing pretty well.




On Wednesday, we drew skulls from new angles. My first drawing is closest to an anterolaterocranial view (3/4 frontal view, seen from the top). The second drawing is from an anterolaterocaudal view (3/4 frontal view, seen from the bottom).
It was harder than I had anticipated to draw the skulls from these angles. I'm becoming more comfortable drawing the skull from the angles that I've done numerous times (anterior, posterior, 3/4), but the change in perspective did a good job of throwing me off. At least they look like skulls; I'm happy about that! Changing the proportions to match the perspective was the most difficult part. My difficulty is best demonstrated through the wide jaw in the drawing from the top view and the wide cranium in the bottom-view drawing. Although challenging, I feel that I'll be able to do a lot better with a bit more practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment