Friday, April 30, 2010

Shell Drawing and Ink Wash - 4/29/10

This is the fourth shell drawing we've completed over the course of the semester, and the second ink wash. I used charcoal for the drawing and washed over that with black and brown India ink.

Drawing this shell was easier than it was when I did my first shell piece, as I feel that my skills are becoming stronger. I am developing a better understanding of contour lines and how to use them successfully, and I am getting better at correctly utilizing the long axis to create accurate perspective.

I'm still getting used to adding the ink wash, although this piece shows remarkable improvement over my first wash (see the two images below). Adding the dark wash to the bottom made it feel like the shell was actually on a surface, rather than floating in the air. I need more shading towards the "cranial" end of the shell as it sits on the page; there is some shading around the edges of the shell, but this area seems a bit flat overall. At the same time, the shading towards the caudal end of the shell gives it life and really shows it moving back in space.
The biggest issues I had with the ink wash were the lines. I continually felt that the ink lines were too sharp, making them unbelievable, so I would typically blend them a bit and hope for a positive result. Most of the time, this led to me simply blending the line almost completely back into the piece. Then the paper would get too wet, making it harder to even begin with a sharp enough line. I found myself continually becoming increasingly frustrated, and eventually decided to cut my cloth and stick with what I had.
During the class critiques, I took a few steps back and looked at other students' pieces that I thought were the most successful. When taking a few steps back and viewing the piece as a whole, rather than a number of separate lines, I realized that the lines I had used in my wash would have probably worked. I'll have to remember that for next time.

If I'm not mistaken, this was the last time that I will work with Mishelle. She's been a great drawing companion, and I could not have asked for a better model (not one complaint, even during long poses!). Our paths may cross again, but for now, I bid her farewell.


Third shell drawing, first ink wash.


Fourth shell drawing, second ink wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment