Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Life Drawing Midterm

It's been an interesting first quarter in Life Drawing I. As I've mentioned before, this is the first drawing class I've had in the last few years, and I'd never attempted figure drawing before. This presented a few challenges, but I think that I'm overcoming them pretty well. Learning about particular parts of the body is helpful to the development of my skills, and I enjoy being able to watch my drawings get better as we learn more. So far, I've learned some interesting stuff; the techniques for developing proper proportion are very beneficial, as I believe proportion is the biggest factor in making a figure drawing look realistic. I had also never realized the angles of the human body; I always assumed that the form was relatively vertical, but offset angles are very prevalent. Besides learning the basic figure, I find the Manikin muscle modeling to be helpful. It enables me to envision the muscles on the model and draw lines that create a believable form.
My abilities are getting stronger, and I think I've made apparent improvement since the beginning of class. I still have a problem with gesture drawings, though; I have a hard time capturing the movement of the figure while keeping the drawing recognizable and not just looking like a jumble of scribbles. Throughout the rest of the semester, I would like to simply continue strengthening my abilities and be able to make good drawings. As far as relating to my other courses, pretty much everything I do in Life Drawing will help me. One of my main interests in design is 3D modeling and animation, and the biggest reason I took this course is so that I will be able to better model realistic 3D human characters. The better I am at visualizing, understanding and being able to drawing the human form, the better I will be at making a 3D model of the human form.

Here is the link to my midterm portfolio:

No comments:

Post a Comment